The Ion Paintball gun was a small gun created by a company called Smart Parts – a producer of paintball markers and accessories. As of 2010, the company is no longer in business. This gun was very popular with beginners due to its low entry price.
It was a gun anyone could buy and have a very fast electronic gun. The biggest downside was that you couldn’t add a lot of extra features to it so you couldn’t really test your skill.
This paintball gun was so popular the company could not keep up with demand. Some say it hurt the paintball industry because it pushed out the bigger guys with the more expensive markers.
What Made the Ion Paintball Gun So Special?
The big deal with the Ion paintball marker was that it delivered unparalleled electro-pneumatic performance alongside multiple firing modes which allowed it to set the firing force based on the distance and position of your target. Unlike other guns that tried to accomplish this, the break beam vision along with the anti-chop system in the Ion paintball marker drew the bolt back when it sensed an obstruction in the chamber, meaning no chopping, no explosions—no problems.
On top of that, thanks to the bolt-out-back design of the gun, maintenance was a breeze. Plus, the aluminum frame from Smart Parts made this gun super-durable.
On top of that, thanks to the bolt-out-back design of the gun, maintenance was a breeze. Plus, the aluminum frame from Smart Parts made this gun super-durable. What really made this fun stand out was its price. You could buy one for under $300 yet manage to shoot 17 balls per-second and incorporate four modes of shooting:
- Semi-auto (shoots once for each pull of the trigger, up to 17 balls per second)
- Rebound (shoots once for the pull of the trigger, and another time when its released)
- 3-round burst (3 quick shots in one trigger pull)
- Full-auto (Hold trigger down and balls shoot up to 10 balls per sec).
The trigger was completely adjustable and super-light for ultra-fast firing.
Here are Some Other Features that Made this Gun so Popular
- Superfast ROF (rate of fire)—17 balls per second in semi-auto and rebound modes, and 10 bps in 3 shot burst or full auto modes.
- Extremely lightweight—weighs only 2.2 lbs.
- Break-beam Vision Eyes—Shoot up to 17 shots per second without ever chopping paint
- Interchangeable Body Kits—Instantly change the color of the Ion’s body with numerous composite shells which are available separately
- Adjustable trigger—Shorten the trigger pull without ever taking the Ion apart. Fully adjustable forward and back travel to customize the trigger exactly how you want it.
- 9-volt battery operation—Easy to find and replace means no more expensive battery packs.
- Easy to disassemble—One 1/8″ Allen wrench (included) is all you need to disassemble and reassemble the Ion in just minutes
- Vertical feed tube O-rings—Fits a wide variety of hoppers without having to buy a new feedneck
- Durable ball detents—lasts 10 times as long as current ball detents
- Gas efficient
- Impulse barrel and feedneck threads.
- Includes barrel cover and parts kit
Unfortunately, you can’t find parts for this gun anymore.